Whenever I start a project I always try to get as much information from a client about their likes dislikes needs and expectations of the project. One of the things that I do is always give them homework. I ask them before we start to have a look around at what their competitors are doing and also what business that aren’t their competitors are doing. This way they can see what works and doesn’t work. The colors they have in mind may clash with the idea that originally had in mind. One of the things that I have seen after doing this for so many years is that people are intimidated by the homework. They focus on the work rather than the outcome. The understanding that the task will make the process much faster and gives your designer a clearer vision of what your needs are in the end giving you the project that you desired.
Here are a couple of things that will make the homework easier…. things that you should do before you hire a creative.
- A brief story about the history of your company
- A summary of the products or services your company offers
- Your company’s target market
- Your company’s future goals
- Examples of logos, designs and advertisement styles that you like
One of the things that is very key to the success of your working relationship with your professional as well as to your brands success is BE SPECIFIC
- What is my design budget?
- When do I need the designs completed?
- What types of media do I need the designs for (web, print, other media)?
- Do I need custom images or will stock photography be acceptable?
The key is to get so deep involved with your brand and your project that you almost become one with it . Always keep an open mind but be clear of what the goal is of your brand and you will succeed.